Sunday, June 29, 2014

Mike: "Impact"

           The past three weeks have been absolutely rewarding. The payoff for all the unorganized chaos that the staff had to maneuver through can most definitely be seen in the eyes of the students who recognized that our departure from the program would be depressing. Yet, it is by the very nature of pain and heartache that students can strengthen themselves. Hopefully, a longing for contact, whether it is through a friendship or mentorship, will inspire the students to continue searching for the answers that can open their doors of opportunity. With regards to the students that did not reveal any type of saddened sentiment for the end of the leadership institute, it is also my hope that at one point in time they will come to a realization in which they can reflect on the experience and truly learn from it. In the end, the ultimate impact will be intangible given that success can be defined from multiple different perspectives. Strides in student improvement will occur through the integration of the skills students gained from the leadership institute program and their daily lives. I have faith that many of the students will be able to plant a better foot forward when they apply for college or join the workforce.


            Personally, I also felt saddened to a lesser degree that the program came to an end. I was able to learn a lot about how I feel interacting with the youth. I realized that I could only do so much without drowning the students in life skills. As such, I will leave the program with many suggestions for further improvement, but I will leave with no regrets. I am grateful that I had the chance to mentor and bond with the students and I look forward to my transition working with youth in a detention center. I am curious to see the differences between both youth groups as my time in Miami comes to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment