Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Karina: "The Truth"

The past three weeks has felt like a whirlwind. Junior year ended. I stayed for graduation and said good-bye (for now!) to some of my senior friends who I have come to love and adore for being my mentors and who I will miss seeing around campus (but its okay, that’s how life works and I’ll stay in contact with them). I said see you later to others. Saying bye to the people I have come to consider to be my family away from home seems to only get harder and harder every break. I’m realizing how much Duke has come to meant for me and how much those around me have helped me grow into a more independent, determined and brave person. And how much I appreciate that as I continue learning about the world around me.

           I headed home for San Diego, CA for two weeks. I had some time to refuel my sleeping tank, read a little, see a couple friends and spend time with my family before heading out to a brief, yet thought-provoking journey at NCORE (National Conference of Race & Ethnicity) in Indianapolis, Indiana. Although my time at the conference was cut short because I had to make it back in time to San Diego for my DukeEngage flight out to Miami (Yes, I really detest airports and airplanes right now), I appreciated being in a space where different intersections of one’s identities and interests could be accepted and discussed. The most impactful words came from the opening keynote speaker and journalist/activist/professor/overall amazing individual Marc Lamont Hill. He said, “Speak the truth even when it’s bitter to others.” The truth can be painful and people don’t like to hear about disparities in general---racial, health, education etc.  But it’s important to speak and hear the truth. Like Hill said, “freedom should not be negotiable.” But here we are, in the 21st century in the United States, still working towards equality in various social realms—realms that we must not forget were created by society to maintain power relations.


                As you can tell, I left NCORE very reflective about many things (both a blessing and a curse since I find myself looking up videos/articles/books which is great but also sighing a lot at life). I share these feelings and thoughts because it describes my mindset as I enter DukeEngage. I can say that my mindset currently is positive and I hope to have a bright and happy summer with all 7 of my fellow DukeEngagers. We’ve been here less than a day but I can already tell that we are extremely blessed to be in this beautiful city. In Miami, I am looking forward to getting to know the Miami culture. I am also excited to meet my team of high school students and tell them about college so that they feel empowered to pursue higher education. Through exploring the city and its people, I’m looking forward to learning about this city’s truths.

-Karina 


No comments:

Post a Comment