Friday, May 30, 2014

Hailey: "My Miami Bucket List"

 As I walked out of the house this morning and said goodbye to my parents at the airport, I could not help but want to start crying. I have never been good with goodbyes and this is not an exception. I have been very much looking forward to doing DukeEngage in Miami. It combines everything that I am super passionate about and interested in.  
   I have developed a bucket list type of list for what I would like to accomplish while I am there. They range from easy and simple to long term goals, and in no particular order. Here they are:  

1) Eat amazing food! There is no surprise that this would be my top priority!
2) Realize to some extent what it means to be an adult. This will be the first time that I will be living on my own in a completely new environment. Yes, I will have other Duke students to help me out along the way, but I am ready to face this challenge head on.
3) Become very conversational in Spanish. All of the different dialects and types of culture bring different aspects to the table and I want to be able to partake.
4) Make a difference. I know that I will not be able to save the entire Latino population in Miami, not that that is my goal, but I want to be able to make a genuine impact on the lives of some people.
5) Take it all in! I do not think I will ever have this type of phenomenal experience and opportunity anywhere or at any other time in my life, so I will make the most of it!


"Be safe! Be aware of your surroundings! Keep your purse on you at all times!" That was the resounding advice that I will take to heart from my parents and family. I cannot wait to see how this experience shapes my future career plans and what I plan to do because of it. In the words of Will Smith, "Bienvenido a Miami!" Now cue that song as my walkup song to this trip!



- Hailey Diaz

No comments:

Post a Comment