Friday, May 30, 2014

Amrith: "Pre-Departure Thoughts"


I’m very excited to leave for Miami and to start exploring the city as the first part of our immersive DukeEngage experience. 

Although there has not been a great deal of specificity regarding the New Generation Leadership & Workforce Institute we will be assisting Unidad with during the first half of the program, I am very excited about the number of opportunities that we will have to form meaningful relationships and grow as a group. I think we have a very balanced, diverse group, and am looking forward to getting to know each of the other seven program participants better. I know that the Unidad staff, Miguel, Professor Clifford and Ms. Snead-Williams have all worked extremely hard to plan an eventful eight weeks and hope to take full advantage of my time in Miami. 

I think I will have a much better grasp of more detailed expectations after next week’s training session with Unidad, but I am probably most focused on getting out of my comfort zone and the “Duke bubble” and trying new things while fulfilling the objectives of the program. I am slightly anxious about my ability to speak Spanish, but think that I will only become even more proficient in the language. More than anything, I am looking forward to the upcoming weeks and am excited about what will occur.

-Amrith Ramkumar 

No comments:

Post a Comment